Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Answers to some good ??s

Some of my pals have asked a few questions about the science center.

As for using the centers with my teens-no I do not use them (yet) as my sassy teen would probably snicker if I did-but she does move thru-out the house to work on some subjects.  Her stuff is mainly in her boxes or is listed in her Big Schedule book (like the guitar for instance-no stuffing that puppy in the wee WKBX pockets!) I honestly cannot think of a center that would work with her curriculum-but if I come across something-I will be sure to post it.

As for where I got the pics for the science center-I got them from a few spots:
I purchased a 2 pack of space posters from the local Dollar Tree b4 the year started. It was in the teacher section.  I cut up the one into 2 long parts to fit the side panels, then the Planets sign/planet pieces was another poster in that pack. I cut out the planets and sign-then laminated em, added velcro to the backs so that he could put them up on the bottom section of the board, in order.  I used black velcro to hide it better on the board.  I used a yellow sheet of cardstock and just used packing tape to put it on the board-so it is a pocket.  That is where I add worksheets and such (the pics on that are cut out from the cover of a space coloring book I got from the Target Dollar Section b4 school started too-I have been adding a few of those pages for him to do also).  I also bought the pack of cards about space at Target.  I laminated them, and add them to the respective pockets (same technique as the big pocket, just with smaller card stock pieces) and rotate them out on occassion.  I am still looking for some other space stuff to add in the blank spots-but for now it works.  When done-simply fold and store away.  Gotta love that!  (the board was from JoAnns-they had a boat load of selections b4 school started, with many different colors-which unfortunately I didn't get...but there is always this coming summer to stock up)....

And I think that answers the ??s so far.  Keep those coming ladies-sometimes I forget to post the details-LOL. 

**The notebook info will come along soon-hopefully!  You can make these for science (which we will do)-using the multitude of foldable mini-books and also for basically any subject that has lots of info one needs to remember.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks so much Sheri! I'm totally going to put this together! My kids will love it!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the answer! I agree, I think my son would think I was crazy if I gave him a center, but I FINALLY read the workbox book and got the impression that she used them all the way up. I just can't think of anything "centerish" to do that he wouldn't balk at! You are such a blessing to us workbox novices, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a ton of Ranger Rick magazines and usborne book in a basket that I call the science center.

    Sheri, I have made too many workbox tags-- look how mane my menu planner. LOL http://ow.ly/UFZb

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been trying to do a better job with centers this year. (It's only been a week - lol.) I enjoyed seeing your science center and hearing more about how you put it together! Thanks so much for sharing it!

    Blessings
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete