Tuesday, January 5, 2010

First set of workbox stuff for 2010

Well, I missed ya all.  I am back with some stuff we have going here for our workboxes...


My teen has this to work on (which she found yesterday in her WKBXes).  It is a math notebook, where she will keep all her math definitions, any helpful diagrams, equations, etc. This material is coming from the Ray's Elementary Algebra we are reviewing for TOS, which we'll be using as a part of her Algebra lessons. In the book she is adding the definitions of terms used in Algebra, so we made some flap foldables to put in the pages.  We titled the term, then underneath teen Sissy will list their definitions.  We will keep this up until the book is filled.  I am allowing her access to this during lessons, and on tests if necessary.  By using this approach-I hope the material cements into her head.  Math has been a struggle for this student and hopefully, by going back to the very basics (using a text from 1864 ?) and Dinah's Zike's notebook ideas...we'll succeed in her retaining and understanding this stuff.  I watched a sample lecture covering this technique, and knew immediately that it was what I was praying for.  My goal is to get Dinah's foldables book for the higher grades and the notebook book too.  I will do a separate post (hopefully soon) on how to get this notebook going.

 
Definitions section

 
 8 tabbed square fold
(just slice the 1/4 triangle sections in half to get 8)

This is just one of the new changes for her this term.  I will be posting new teen ideas as I am able.

For the Boy:


 Here is the Big Schedule Book in action.  I have pre-done the days with the various cards, then when it comes time to stuff the boxes, I take a look-see to get my box count and any other misc. activities.  Obviously, it doesn't tell me exactly what to put in-but it is a great visual so I can set my schedule set once (only) per week.


One of his new Christmas gifts, inserted into WKBXes for a "fun activity" between the 3 Rs.
I found this at JoAnns and used my 40% discount coupon to get a great price.  Below is the Science Center (the card is betwixt WKBX 6 and 7) loaded with a new puzzle, the planets to stick in order along the bottom of the board, and the activity section is packed with the pencil and sheet he will need to do the experiment from the Apologia Astronomy book-under Mercury.  The materials for the experiment is in the black container/small container too.  All ready for him to explore. 






 The experiment is designed to show the student what kind of impact asteroids cause on a planet's surface. This out to be interesting-gonna have the mini-vac ready too!  I can see it now-flour flying all over-ah what a HSing momma will do to further their child's education!

So that is just some of what I am trying to get into the WKBXes 'round here.

4 comments:

  1. Looks fun! I love the math notebook idea...I may have to try that with my reluctant mathematician!

    I am glad you showed the Science Center...kind of been wondering how people are working their centers. We are spce challenged around here so this idea with the foldable board is great! Do you still do centers with your highschooler or do you stick mainly with the boxes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow thanks for sharing! I absolutely love your Science Center! We are using the Apologia Astronomy book too! Where did you get the pictures to put on the board? I would love to do this for my kids! They would totally LOVE it!
    Tamara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to see a new post from you, really enjoy all your great ideas. I am hosting an art giveaway that you might be interested in. Stop by and take a look when you have a chance.
    Blessings
    diane

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved the math notebook! I've been pondering ways to "record" those facts/info and how to make it more accessible. This is a great idea!

    Science center looks like a lot of fun too!

    Blessings
    Leslie

    ReplyDelete