Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Additional ASK SHERI post

This one is too good to wait upon-so here goes:

dccd mom writes:

I just have to ask you how you use spray glue without making a huge mess everywhere. I'm having trouble getting my file folder games to stick to the folder, especially when I'm using velcro. The spray glue seems perfect, except that I make such a mess with it. 

That is not a good situation.  I actually try to laminate most of my games.  I put them on to card stock, using a reg. stick glue-then laminate and (clear packing) tape them together.  But those are only for the ones I will get a long time use from.  The others, I usually use the double-sided tape (scrapbook isle in stores) or a really good glue (stick)  but when I do the spray glue [and that is more for the lapbooks] I have found:

1.  You need a bag of those cheap medical gloves-I am telling ya, that spray glue does go everywhere, and having to de-glue my hands is such a pain.  SO those puppies are coming in handy.


2.  You should have a cardboard box, or newspaper spread out before you spray.  That way, you can lay down the material to be coated, spray  and remove -with the over-spray stuck to your box and not you.

3.  You need to hold the can far enough away, but not so far the glue is rendered useless because it dries before it hits the paper.  Read the can and adjust as needed.  I found that about 6 or so inches is best.  Too much closer and it is overkill-farther than that-it simply won't get enough adhesion to stick nicely to your project.  (and that is what I am thinking is the problem-not enough glue is on it to stick properly)

4.  Remember too-you do not need to hold the button down and spray for an eternity (not sure if that is what is going on either).  Quick sprays in a sweeping motion, over the item only, should do the trick.  A couple swipes per item.  That will help keep the mess of the over-spray down too.  

I am thinking that if you are using Velcro for some of it-I would think those items would do better laminated, so the Velcro won't pull up on the paper, and so that your game won't be ruined.  

oh, and number 

5.  When it is cold out-the glue will not hold properly.  It has been so chilly here, that some projects I did this past weekend had parts that did not adhere correctly because of it-so I had to respray in the house.  Not something I recommend, but a necessity if living in the North.  This stuff stinks and is not good for breathing in!  

6.  When all else fails-use that clear Elmer's glue (sparingly) to adhere your stuff.

Well, hope this will give you some ideas to see if you can fix the problem.  

Thanks for asking! 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment