Sunday, August 23, 2009

I was asked the question, and wanted to address it for all to see

I have decided to start a new section here, called Ask Sheri. So once a month or so, when I get a question regarding the Workbox System, I will post it with my not so expert response. That way, all who stop by will be able to benefit (including me-because I am learning new stuff every day about the workbox system and its power) and if I don't know the answer, I will look for my readers help too...so here goes-my first question. Thanks to my unsuspecting visitor for this great opening question!

A momma new to the workbox idea, One More Equals Four asked me:

My question to you is, do you use this system with your older children? I have a 1 1/2 year old, a 1st grader, a 4th grader and a 7th grader. I can see where the system would work for the three younger ones but am wondering about for the middle schooler, haven't seen a lot out there for older kids...just wondering what you think having used the system? Thanks!

This is such a wonderful, and timely question. Because, if you have been following this blog-I haven't really mentioned the workboxes for the older kiddos. I have one (Sophomore this year) and yet, haven't utilized it up to this point. At first, I wanted to just get a grasp of the over all concept, tweak it for my youngest and work thru it for a while-before tackling the teen. I was unsure of what I would use, because-no offense to Sue-the shoe rack/shoe boxes are just a tad immature for teens (and the boxes too small for the bigger books). Now, I am not trying to sound harsh-I just think young adults need something a wee bit more sophisticated, if we want them to want to use it.

After scanning tons of Internet store sites, walking many an isle in your usual name brand stores, and thinking and thinking-I hadn't a clue as to what to use until just this past Saturday. Yes, I had some minor "me thinks" moments, but when I got to really thinking upon it-I just couldn't figure out what would work for my teen. I thought about those carts on wheels, and may in the end resort to them-but for now I am not going this route-mainly due to space and the fact that I cannot find one I like. I thought about those desk top paper slot things, but figured they would be too skinny to hold a chunky textbook, I thought about a lot of things. Then I figured I would go streamline. I would give it a office look. When attending the Staples Teacher Appreciation day, I stood in that isle that displays the trinkets that go on top of desks, file cabinets and the like. I almost bought a wire rack that holds files on the top and has 2 baskets below-and still may do that. Then I saw it. The holder that just spoke to me. Maybe because I like things that move? I dunno. This one has 5 clear dividers that flip forward, so you can see then next divider when moving the one in front. One of the things I was concerned about was where to put those number cards. On a wire rack-it wouldn't work (but now I think I could laminate a skinnier card and add velcro for the cards, then clip it on with a ring). If I put em on the folders I bought-they would be all warped and possibly ripped within a month...so-this is what I decided on. Not sure if it will really work-or it will suit our needs. But if it doesn't, I guess I will have a nice file holder for my stuff. So I velcro'd on some squares to hold the number cards (which she is drawing pictures for-then I will shrink to fit with numbers-making it even more personal for her)-but in the pics it is the piggy bank cards she'll have to use til that is done. I also am having her draw a pic for her name card to put the number cards on when she is done with the packet. [2 projects that we will have to wrap up this week]



I also decided that trying to stuff those texts into a workbox would be crazy-usually they are too big for most storage units. Have you seen how big and heavy those Apologia books are? I also didn't want to appear to be micro-managing her either. She needs to be able to accomplish a lot more on her own at her age-as it is a life skill I want all my kids to have; and high school is a great time to really let them hone those skills. SO-





I bought a 10 pack of 1 1/2" expandable file folders (and can I just say-I simply do not get why they cost so much, and I think, perhaps they're a major rip off-but I digress), to hold the essentials for her day. I bought colored ones, and will tape on the numbers for them once we get more printer ink (and no they are not see thru-haven't found those, but sometimes you need to bend the rules a bit). I can put 2 folders per section. I do not plan on putting super bulky things in there-but will instead use my Holding Stations [we are going to create a few more teenish looking ones to use with her-but for now, she has to use what I have on hand. I will get a link for those soon, otherwise if you are a part of the workbox yahoo group, it is in the file section] for such things.

I have explained to her that with the system, she will

*take the first folder and peek inside-and then proceed to read any notes in it, and do the assigned work
*take the number off the divider (I still have to get the matching number cards on there, but alas-she needs to draw em first) when done, and place it on her chart (visual, visual, visual)
*move on to the next one until she comes to a time where she is do something else-
**insert the Missions Chart (not created yet due to no ink)-not chore chart or activity strip-but a missions chart...why a MC? Because-she is on a mission to improve her time usage skills and get into a habit of working thru the day in a timely and accomplishing (new word?) manner.
***so on the MC-I will have blocks for the 1-10 cards, but also have squares to break up the day from school work (guess I need to create or run off a few more cards), with certain activities; such as household chores, or phys ed or various other things that give her a mental break before diving back into the schoolish stuff. It sounds a bit more sophisticated than a chore chart doesn't it? Maybe not-well, that is what it is named around here.

For the classes she is taking thru our local homeschool group-I will have to morph the instructors' schedule of assignments into the ones I am teaching at home. So until I get them, I really cannot be specific to the work set up yet. So, I will get back to that once we figure out something that really works for us.

Here are some examples of what I put in for tomorrow, as we are only doing 7 to start out. But you get an idea of what you could stuff em with.


So, that covers the system. I suggest to all-find something that will not only work within your house's space limitations, but also something that your teen is excited about. I have something in my head that would work, but I don't think it actually exists...time to hunt down Ty from Extreme Makeover-Home Edition, for help.

Now for my thoughts on the concept for a Junior High/Senior High student. I think it is an absolutely awesome idea! I also think if more businesses had something like this for their employees-so much more would get done in one week than they would normally see in a month's time. A lot of people simply shut down when confronted with a task that seems huge and overwhelming. Toss a big, ole thick math book in front of your kid and watch the eyes gloss over, and you will see what I mean. Give your hubby a "Honey Do list" thicker than a metro phone book-and you will get why it simply doesn't work (in rare occasions perhaps there are those who thrive on 20" thick task lists) for most. So, by taking the project and breaking it down into bite sized, manageable pieces-you get success. Knowing they do not have to linger for several hours over one assignment, and you get accomplishment. Getting your teen to do their work without excessive stress-and you've found peace. Oh, sweet peace.

That is what the workbox system does-it simplifies and breaks down assignments into something they can do without being overwhelmed. Now, I have tried typed out "to do" lists for her. I have laid out the goodies before her each day, in nice neat piles, and I have scheduled work on a calendar-and nothing has worked. For whatever reason the list simply was ignored or didn't strike her as useful. So we're giving the system a try.

SO-to end this rambling post-yes, workboxes should work quite nicely for the teenager in your home, and will help you stay on top of what they are doing too. Yes, you will have prep work, but will be accountable too (and I know we need to be more so in that department), but I am looking at the end result. Getting a school year accomplished without fighting, tears, and non-finished assignments-whilst doing so with a sense of success. Teens will start their day with little increments of assignments, knowing what they are to do-and when they are done for the day!

Give it a try with your teen(s). I hope any of you who are using the system with your JR/SR highers will comment about how it is going in your home too.

7 comments:

  1. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I have sort of worked up a schedule for tomorrow but definitely need to learn more. I hope to ask hubby or in laws or parents for the book for Christmas...I have WAY exceeded my book budget for the time being! I can't wait to see how things go and will look forward to more posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I think it's an especially great system for older kids. I bet they would enjoy the independence.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a 7th grader and a Junior that love the system just the way she wrote it. In fact, I have been told not to mess with their system!! LOL They enjoy seeing what is expected, having manageable bites, and having the end in sight.

    This year I will be involving them more in the planning process so that they will learn how to divide large jobs into smaller jobs.

    My big kids get more done in less time, and I am on top of grading for the first time in a long time. We learned more than ever! So, yes, I say give workboxes a go with your bigger kids!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post...I too have struggled with the boxes because I have five children and NO room for 5 of these racks, etc...but with my high schooler we did use the boxes for him and he actually loved it...so I will be doing that with him this year as well...he thought it was easier and really couldn't articulate why, but I think that it was self motivating for him to see how much work there was and see it leaving the shelves...
    The books do not fit well, but I try to have them in there so that they lean against one side or the other...we don't just have the apologia book, but there is a notebook too for the experiments and on your own questions...if I absolutely cannot make it fit in the box, I have a shelf thing next to his desk/workbox area and I set extras up there...
    Here are picts of my highschooler's here:
    http://amazingracehowsweetthesound.blogspot.com/2009/06/workboxes.html
    and here:
    http://amazingracehowsweetthesound.blogspot.com/2009/06/workboxes-part-2.html

    Now,I must say...my third born's system did not work well for him...so I will be revamping that this year....I may end up with racks strewn all over the house...and that will be what it is...so we are still in process too!

    I for one, would love to hear more ideas for Jr and Sr high workboxes...my children are sliding in that direction more...I still have a couple of littles...but you don't hear much for the olders...
    THanks for your blog...I really appreciate it!
    C~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your kind words Sheri...and I look forward to seeing more great ideas here...I don't always post a comment...trying to get the most bang for my "computer time", but I do love your ideas and hope to implement many of them.
    I am sorry that your rack was not all that you hoped...I am going to try a milk crate with maybe some tall cardboard/chipboard dividers next....I think that it is really important for our children to see HOW much work they have and to SEE it going away...and then maybe to have a fun item or two to break up the brain drain they get....PE, free time, etc...

    C~

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hap'd upon you tonight from the Yahoo group :D I have a 12.5 yr old son(not sure what that is in the American system)and six younger children (11,8,7,5,4,2) and this is our first year using Workboxes. I gave it a trial run just before we broke for summer, spent the summer tweaking it and are now up and fully running - one week down! Even before I tweaked it any, but even moreso now, it is working fabulously for my 12yo. This is the boy who up until now would be working till 6 in the evening to get done and is now almost done by lunch time and this week was ALL done by about 2pm! Admittedly I have dropped everyone to 10 'boxes' because it was too much for ME, not them!! I asked him why he thinks it is working so well and he said he really did not know why, but he likes it :D I think it is maybe because it makes the work seem so much less daunting, more broken up with 'active' stuff, and just more manageable. I am hoping as the year goes on to get him more involved in helping set up his own workbox each night - and the planning at the weekend (although I need to fit the jigsaw of 7 sets of 'work with Mum' activities, 'group' work, etc...so that's a bit harder - however, I will try!

    We don't actually have 10 boxes per child - imagine!! - we have one big box ( http://www.reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/uk/html/onlineshop/rub/b35_0litre.php ) which holds hanging files. Each child has 10 files. The pictures are on my blog (www.frogacademy.blogspot.com) and there's more HERE:- (http://picasaweb.google.com/WellybootsMum/2009_08_19SchoolroomWorkboxes#)
    The tweaks are only minor - I've put ticks on each hanging file and removed the grid on the lid. Now they just put the tick from the file on the 1-10 grid on the front of the box to show that activity is done. It's simpler and easier for the younger ones to follow.

    The system is working well for everyone, but I am MOST impressed with the difference it has made to my eldest son :D

    ReplyDelete