Thursday, May 21, 2009

Thinking outside the box meme


Sponsored this month by The Work of Childhood (previously known as Cheeky Monkey Preschool) at The Work of Childhood, please stop by and leave a ditty with you answers to these workbox questions.


Alright, here are my answers to this week's questions for the meme:

How many boxes do you fill? 11

Do you expect your children to go in order? Yes but have skipped on around on occasion because I just couldn't be there to work with him when he hit a particular box.

Do you use the schedule strips? no

How long does it take you to fill the boxes? 15 or so mins. depending on how brain dead I am, or if I am actually functioning at full capacity

Do you fill your work boxes EACH night with all new items? Yes but it usually is the morning (he gets up later than me) or late afternoon when "school time" is done-not night.

Do you have some boxes repeat each day so there is less filling/refilling? No, each day is a new experience-altho the biggest box is reserved for big projects which can carry over for several days

What do your kids do with the empty boxes? He piles them up in the number one spot

Do you put away the ‘supplies’ each night? or do your kids? I have him dump all non-consumable supplies/books into our Dump Box, then the worksheets and papers that have been completed, go into our Finished Work box-I put the stuff away. Altho, he will help me put stuff away if I ask.

Anything else you want to add? There is more and more info out there with great ideas on what to put into these beauties, ideas for centers and links to sites with downloads. Check out Homeschool Share-they will have a whole new section just for workbox helps, the yahoo groups and fellow bloggers-with all of us adding our ideas, we'll have a wealth of info to keep the workbox system flowing and non-stagnant.


Right now I am only using this system for my soon to be 8 year old. I will figure out a more "mature" system for my high schooler-not sure what holding system it will be yet-or to what extent we'll have her using it....needed to tweak it out for the boy first.....good thing it is almost summer, I need that down time to figure it out.

3 comments:

  1. I'm anxious for some summer tweaking time too. Everyone's blogs are such good sources for ideas. I had forgotten about those 'magic pen' books until I saw your entry. That will make a great fun box!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love your setup! I saw your previous posts with your 'turn in' box and the supply dump box. We have something similar right now with the 'dump' box for supplies, but since he doesn't really have 'assignments' at the moment, we don't have an assignment box.
    I continue to look forward to your posts :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We'll have to exchange notes on getting this up and running for high schoolers!

    ReplyDelete