Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Another Ask Sheri moment

So Rhonda asked:

I am considering implementing WORKBOXES into our homeschool starting in a couple of weeks. I wonder how parents introduce the system and how it works to the children who will be using it? Sue really doesn't address that in her book, and for my son, info is key to his cooperation. Also, I was considering signing up for Sue's webinar this Friday...any suggestions?


For starters-the question about introducing them-I suggest you create a great excitement!  Talk it up and go over the basic how-to do it with him.  Let him know that this is a new way of doing business, that you will have all his goodies for the assignment in those boxes and ready to go.  Give him 3 stuffed boxes as a trial experience.  Leaving the third one with a fun snack/activity (the other 2 with minimal work-just to give an example).  Show him where you want the boxes to go after he is done, what he is suppose to do with work you want to check over, and how it works with the number cards (not sure how you'll be doing that, so my example is how we do it)  Ex: since I expect the child to go in order, he is to take the number off the box when the project is complete, and then place it onto the number board~I would show him how that works.  

We have two boxes that he is to put the stuff-one for the extra supplies/materials, and the other for those papers/workbooks that I need to go over and check.  I also have a Schedule Ntbk    that he follows along in, due to some activities not being able to fit into a box.  Then it is clear that when those are done-unless I have given him the OK to stop at a certain box-his day is done.


Here is my unsolicited parental take on this-as the parent, I have the final say on how we do school-and as the child, they are to be obedient to this way of doing it.  I am all about using what works and considering the child's learning style and personality, but some children will balk at anything to just be ornery.  This is a life-long character trait they will need to have-for college, work, marriage, life!  They must know how to be submissive in certain areas of authority and acknowledge that they cannot always have it their way.  So setting the ground rules will serve to make this go much more smoothly.  You can talk it up, explain and take it easy for the first couple weeks-but eventually-the child will have to (and this almost happens naturally b/cuz they will know what to expect and can see what they'll be doing) "go with the flow" and just do it...no arguments allowed.  After 22 years of battling some very head strong children, you can take that advice to the bank!  It won't always be a picnic, but push thru the tantrums, pouting and small annoyances, and you'll be blessed if you do.  




As to the ?? about attending a webinar with Sue-by all means yes!  You will get a great understanding of the system. I heard her speak at the Spring TOS HS Expo and I really enjoyed it.Just keep in mind, that no matter whose program we're talking about-you the parent must figure out how to implement it so it works best for your children. Thankfully Sue (and if you are reading this hon-I love ya but I am sure by now you see that there are many ways to do this and still succeed-but thanks for sharing this awesome way of doing school!) is better at accepting that most HSers have had to tweak and adjust to fit it for their fams. So even tho she wants you doing it her way-you will ultimately need to decide a way that works best for your child. So if you can still get a ticket, and can afford it (sorry, not sure what that is) I say-you most likely will be blessed by doing so.  


HTH





**I am not sure about the Scribd stuff now-I haven't gotten that far into my 'clean up' process and links checking (2014) so not sure if any links/pages will work for that.  Sorry. :(



3 comments:

  1. Bummer. I can't download those scribd pages without being a paid member. Or uploading a file, which I don't have one to upload. Book looks really neat and motivating though.
    Thanks for showing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You put so much time into creating your work boxes! I really appreciate all the visuals and explanations.

    I tried going to sue Patrick's site but for some reason it says it doesn't exist. Does she now have another site address?

    ReplyDelete
  3. A friend had trouble downloading my docs at Scribe. I had no trouble but apparently unless you are a current active member you have to pay to download? Still trying to find out the truth of this.

    ReplyDelete