Tuesday, April 27, 2010

This is what I have in my 8 yr old's box for tomorrow

Since we are learning about the moon now, I have added a couple goodies into the workboxes, to carry over the interest (I will show the Oreo Cookie project Wed)-such as Owl Moon [FIAR book] and the story disk to match [which gets placed on the map of the world] and some miscellaneous books referencing the moon.  Later in the week, I will put some Sculpy clay in a box, to create an Owl Moon ornament [found the idea on my pal Leslie's blog: Joyful Mother of 6 Children: look under the FIAR category on the side bar to find the great ideas for FIAR books] and of course,  all week I will add the mini-booklets to go with the Apologia Astronomy book we are using.

To bolster the whole moon theme-we carried over our "schooling" to after 9 tonight...as were able to (finally) check out the "...lesser light to govern the night" [Genesis 1:16] via the telescope (no-I didn't stuff that into the boxes, LOL) my brother gave us. That really was neat to see!  Since it is a full moon all week-we will check it out each night (assuming the clouds don't roll in) to hopefully be able to spot more of the craters and trenches; along with testing our very amateur skills in astronomy, to see if we can also hone in on some of the stars and planets too.

I found the cloth world map at WalMart a few years ago-it still may be available- it works very nicely for the FIAR disks.  I simply put on some Velcro dots to the areas the books are in (for those with no noted location-I used the clues mentioned in the book/Teacher's Guide or simply guessed).  The movie is from the library.  It is just someone reading the book with a few extra sound effects (like the train and owl call)..it gave me a break from reading it-gotta love that.  We have read this book a lot in the last few years, and although it is a bit youngish for my son, he enjoys it still.  Especially now that we are doing the Molly/McGee watch and covering the moon. (this is going to be tucked into a box with the books below)


As you can see, these are well loved books in our home.  Goodness-I think Grandfather Twilight was "new" when my eldest son was about the age my youngest son is now.  These are a bit more folktale in nature, but fun to read-and again-talk about the moon.  Great tie-ins.


There are other boxes with math, Bible study, a few games and activities too-just wanted to highlight the moon stuff.   I will have to remember to put a "science center" card in a box this week-I have a magazine about space and some new cards to go into the resource pockets...plus I will add the puzzle and a few more books to the area to jazz it up a bit.

So there is our moon theme workbox ideas for tomorrow.

As for the teen's boxes?  

Well, hers are rather boring since she has a lot of reading to do for history, and science tomorrow.  I do have her working on some papers that go with the history, so I was sure to include the scissors and glue stick she needs.  She has another Winston Grammar review page to do (so that has the paper and the cards plus the pencil in the folder), and her art project she is working on...

She is doing a sketching/shading project from the Spear's Art Studio lesson [links you to the review I did on this program]...and so I have all the necessary pencils, erasers and blending stump (not in the pic) plus the paper in the folder too.  The crumpled bag is folded up (as best as possible considering its sad state) and in there as well...the rocks and shells would rip up the folder so they are strategically placed throughout the house to give her different lighting situations to draw.

Oh woe is the poor crumply bag (but hey-that is what she is suppose to doodle)
 but alas, he will be forever etched (or is that sketched?) in her art book.  

and a few other things that currently escape my mind (as it is after 1 am here as I type this) but for the most part-my creativity went to the boy's boxes for Tuesday..maybe Wednesday she will get some more exciting ones...we'll see.

and that is it for now fellow bloggers-

No comments:

Post a Comment