Sunday, October 18, 2009

What is in the Box anyhoo? This week?



Well, we are currently doing this with the boy (2nd grade) (Not necessarily in this order, except for Bible, as we always start with that)...

1. Bible story and coloring sheet that matches the main story-every day

2. Math -Abeka 2nd grade (I will tear out the work page, add any necessary tag-a-longs such as a ruler or fraction puzzles, etc.) -4-5x per week

3. Beautiful Feet Early Am. History-Columbus (currently, just wrapped up Leif Erikson and Vikings)
So in the bigger bin goes:  D'Aulaire book on Columbus, Meet Christopher Columbus, and other noted books, plus various notebook pieces, such as pics to color, maps to work on, etc. We are keeping a History Notebook that these will all go into.  I do this about 3x per week. I am adding in videos from the library on Columbus and soon will have the Drive Thru History DVD to add in (one covering Columbus). 

4.  Apologia's Elementary Exploring Creation Through Astronomy.  I am using that as the base text, then adding in Lapinder (lapbook/notebook crossbreed of the two) components.  I found some thru the internet on the Notebooking to Learn (?) site, and the others using the Astronomy lapbook components I bought (will have to get the name of the company for ya-) .  I have those preprinted, cut and ready to go-so I just toss in the ones that match the sections we're discussing and when he is done, it goes into a big Ziplock to wait until that unit is over-then we paste it into the Lapinder.  2-3x per week

5.  All About Spelling, Level 2.  I try to do this 3-4x a week.  I have to put this in one of the first 4 boxes, otherwise he gets tired and his dyslexic brain does worse with reading/spelling. 

6.  HOP reading-Orange book and readers.  I again, have to have this near the top.  I do not make him read a lot (usually no more than 10 min.) because I have found he starts to really switch up and mix up words after about 10-15 mins.  So I am working on adding longer periods as he develops.  I will also have to add additional reading material by early spring.  Right now between the HOP and AAS, he is doing pretty good.
4-5x per week

7.  HW, Copywork -3-4 x per week.  I use the Italic HW program Getty/Dubay but am trying to work in Barchowski's HW program.  I need to print off more sheets-so right now I have him doing the ones that contain images with lines to help control and fine tune the HW skills.  For the Copywork it is the Memorial Press series.  I love this.  He writes the material (which is on the lines above the ones he is to write on) and then draws a pic to match.  I have him just about thru the first bk.  It has big lines, so I am anxious to get him into book 2, with smaller lines to control the billboard sized lettering I see now and again.

8.  Reading with me.  Right now it is Ginger Pye. Usuallly 3x per week.  We just pick a fun read that catches our fancy to add into our schedule.

9.  Lapbooks. I try to find one that is similar to our current studies.  But also add ones (like the Hot Dog one we just completed) that are not related-to help add variety.  I try to do one per 4-6 weeks. Haven't selected one yet, but am thinking one on fall activities would be appropriate.  Not sure yet.  When we are doing it-I try to do it 3x per week.

Those are what show up in the boxes on a very regular basis-but I also add in ones that are a mix of things-like: (these go in where there is a gap, so not sure how often per week-varies)

Spears Art Studio projects, SpellQuizzer, 1/4 Mile Math, Jumpstart CDs, Center time (right now it is the Astronomy one), physical activities, crafts, doing the Pirate DVD (moves his body), Nature walks/studies, playdough time (very good for him), baking, DVDs that tie into our studies, extra reading books, music CDs, experiments (like just last week I put his little trebuchet in the wkbox with varying items like erasers, balls, a big plastic frog and turtle and had him fling them via the treb.  He then took his tape measure and recorded their length of flight.  I then had him graph those results the next day), various math, geography, and puzzle activities, games, painting, file folder games, and so on. 

Found this at the Dollar Tree in that bin that is a mess of DVDs.  It has the kids moving to follow the arrows-excellent cross brain exercises for dyslexics.

Plus, he attends a Fun with Physics class (this semester) thru our local HS group. 

That is a minuete of what goes in our boy's boxes. 

I will post the teens soon.  My hands are tired and it is time to watch the DVDs I got thru the library on the Nat'l Parks. 

Til next time-

4 comments:

  1. Shoot, just deleted my whole comment! I am going to try to take off a week and get things together this week. We cannot halt school completely because we do a tutorial two days a week and hve required work that goes along with that, however, I am going to try to not be anal and get my ducks in a row! I really appreciate this site! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be very interested to see what you put in the older kids boxes. I have a 10 1/2 yr. daughter and sometimes it is hard to find challenging fun things to put in the boxes.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to hear what you put in the teen's boxes. I have a teen, and am trying to implement and adapt Sue Patrick's WBS for our homeschool.

    Cute blog! I am bookmarking it. :-)
    ~Denise

    ReplyDelete
  4. Heres a link fo Free Printable Bible Verses for Handwriting and Copywork http://bit.ly/1zSC6h

    Manuscript, cursive, and D'Nealian (dotted and lined fonts)

    ReplyDelete