Saturday, September 12, 2009

Solar System Center Set Up

I picked up one of those Tri-fold Display boards from JoAnns a few weeks back-so I could put together an area for all the space material I have been collecting. We will be starting our Apologia Exploring Creation Through Astronomy (Elementary level) this Monday. So in honor of our year long study of God's ultimate creation-we're decorating the room and setting up the board with activities. I also bought some space things from Target before the school rush started. I was able to get a pack of Space cards, a space write on board, and a workbook for the boy's level (I am tearing out various pages of that and putting it in the center for him to do over the course of the study). To go with that, I have a great Solar System set I bought when I started schooling the kiddos-so it is about 15 years old-and still going strong. It is so big-I have to put it up on the wall. I will put up a new one when we come to that planet. I have the sun up as of now-even though we won't be studying that until next week (there is an intro chapter).

The workbook, and cards I mentioned. I actually cut up the cover of the workbook for the pocket picture in the center :0)-it looks cute up there. The boy approved the look-so all is good.



The center still needs one more section. I have an idea of what I want to do with that blank area near the top-but have to find the goodies to do it. The planets on the bottom are from a poster set I bought from the Dollar Tree (so is the info on the planets)-so I cut them up and laminated them, put Velcro on the back and so when we study that planet, I will put the thing in his workbox, and he will know to put it up on the board (I have em all up there for the picture). The flash cards are being used in the 2 pockets. I will change out and add the appropriate cards as we are learning of it. Again-the side sections are that other poster I mentioned. I decided to cut it in half, to fill those areas as well. So that is our "Fold It Up and Put It Away Space Center".

5 comments:

  1. That's a great set-up. I would have never thought of doing something like that. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cool! I hope to get the Astronomy book soon also.
    Blessings
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this!! I think I am going to have to create us something for our different months. We are trying to study a specific theme each month! This would be great to go along with it!! Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is terrific. You are so creative. Everything you make turns out beautiful.

    ReplyDelete