Monday, June 1, 2009

Those "Troublesome Trolley" blends


visit The Work of Childhood for more ideas for the workbox.

This is a simple activity to help those visual learners:



CH, SH and TH...3 sounds that throw my boy whilst he is trying to read. For whatever reason, he just forgets they are meant to be said as a blend. I have to do three different visual hints for him as he reads this...SH is obvious, as I bring my finger to my lips and say "Shhh", CH is showing my thumb hit my finger, and TH is over-stressing my tongue hitting my teeth (as he had no front teeth while we were working on the TH sounds in reading, so he ends up saying "fff" instead...so I have to over-stress the tongue hitting the teeth in order to get him to say TH...but..that is isn't enough...so I had to come up with something...this was my solution. Just used my MS Word...now I still need to print an additional blank card for the pictures to go on cuz the 10 cannot fit without squishing them. But it gives you the idea of how it works...basically, they place the picture under the sound it makes, and when done, have you or an older sibling check it to be sure it is correct. I know for my son, that all though this is WAY easy on the difficulty scale, it is giving him a bunch of visuals...so when he sees the them in a word-his mind may instantly go to this work to remind him to blend the sounds. We'll see. Anyhoo, I just store it in a Ziplock. If you'd like the file, you can leave a comment with your email addy and I will send it along (I will not publish it, but just get your e-addy and then delete it-so you don't have to worry about having your email addy out on the web).

2 comments:

  1. My son is working on these sounds in speech! Perfect idea! I am just starting to homeschool him and setting up my workboxes...I am so happy I found your site!!! Thanks for all these great ideas!

    ReplyDelete