Saturday, June 27, 2009

This is a really fun math work



This is a math work where the child adds the equation, writes the answer with a wet erase marker, then decides if the sum is odd or even. They then place it into the correct bin. There is a check sheet for the child to go over when done too (this is nice, it corrects itself, so to speak-they can tell if they answered the equation correctly and if they put it into the right box).

I found this at Teena's Teacher Tidbits at Etsy, under the math. She has some awesome file folder games/activities for Pre-K to 1st. Most, sadly are too youngish for my son, but I do see a few with subjects we haven't covered yet...so thought I would start with this one. For $4, I downloaded (you will have to create an Etsy account, which takes only a few mins.), printed, laminated and assembled.

I couldn't find the hot dog holders she has shown, altho admittedly, I have not scoured the picnic sections of most stores. I did however, find 2 plastic butter dish holders at the Dollar Tree. They work just fine. I simply hot glued the 2 condiment bottles to them, and use one of the trays (came with the butter dish) to hold the hot dog cards (all nice and tidy). This is a great activity for the workbox. I also wanted the boy to do some subtraction-but she doesn't have those in the hot dog project-so...I decided to simply type up equations on MS Word (checked the font size to get close enough) and also typed up the key sheets (odd and even answers) to overlay onto the images [these are white, instead of brown like the addition ones, but hey-visually it signifies that he is subtracting. I can also do this for multiplication and division when he gets to that]. I just printed another set. Then I cut the problems to size, glued on and laminated as usual. I also just over laid the answers to the menu. So now he can do 40 problems (20 each) and really work the odd/even concept into his head.

How cool is that? Well, cool! I am going to be looking thru her other goodies to see what else we can use. Now is the time to get all these made, b4 the fall semester starts.

2 comments:

  1. I like those! I'm looking for more ideas for preschool activities for this upcoming year, and those math hot dogs may be a little advanced for my almost 4 year old. But still very cute--they might work for the 8 year old. I'm checking in a couple times a week to see what new ideas you've posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I ordered the Hot Dog Math for future use and the Blooming Numbers to use with a K'er. This site has very affordable products!! I am still organizing our Workboxes. Thanks for all the wonderful ideas.
    Donna B

    ReplyDelete